The Sacred valley as its name suggests was a revered place for the Incas, who believed the mountains here embodied spirits. Though the empire has long since fallen, the Inca presence is still felt here, particularly in the ruins of Pisac and Ollantaytambo, and at the ancient experimental agricultural station at Moray.
The valley contains a string of steadfastly traditional hamlets, among them. Calca, Lamay, Qoya, Pisac, Urubamba and Ollantaytambo. Where you will encounter valley and fields with alpacas or sheep grazing, also crops of maize, quinoa and potatoes. At the salt mines of Maras, where evaporation pools create uneven terraces all the way down the steep-sided valley, you can observe Quechua-speaking locals harvesting salt with the same centuries-old methods that have been used since pre-Inca times.
If you are looking for some adventure, the Sacred Valley has outdoor thrills aplenty, offering hiking, biking, horseback riding and zip lining. What’s more, the weather in the Sacred valley is usually pleasant and the altitude is lower than Cusco, thus making it an ideal place to acclimatize upon arrival.
Places to explore:
- Pisac market.
- Salt mines – Salinas de Maras.
SACRED VALLEY TOUR
We will pick you up from your hotel at 8: am. then Just a one-hour driving from Cusco, we reach to Taray view point,where you will see andean peaks some glaciers, the view of the Sacred River for the Incas (Wilcamayu), and the Sacred Valley of the Incas. Here you will find peaceful villages that modernity has barely touched. at Pisac archeological park you will admire the complex system of terraces where the Incas had a variety of products, here you will see one of the biggest Inca cemetery with more than 2000 tombs, also history taking us back to the Incas time. Afterward we go to the colorful market of Pisac then we drive until Urubamba for lunch. 30 more minutes to reach to Ollantaytambo, where the town retains its original Inca walls and street grid and the formidable fortress, here was one of the last Inca bastions to withstand the attacking Spanish, after exploring the archeological park we drive for one more hour until Salt mines then to moray.Finally, around 6:30 we stay again in Cusco and we will take to your hotel.
- Pick up at your hotel.
- Bilingual English speaking guide.
- Private van to visit all Inca places.
- Ticket for salt mines.
- Bottle of Water.
- Entrance ticket for all archeological sites, this ticket has two options and can be purchased at the first site you enter. It is about US$22 or 70 soles. (BTG, see important info).
WHAT TO BRING FOR SACRED VALLEY TOUR?
- Original passport.
- Warm jacket.
- Sun protection.
- Some money for souvenirs.
- Money in soles to purchase BTG tourist ticket (70 soles).
If you are a student, take your ISIC card (only works for the 10-day Boleto Turístico).
Boleto Turístico (tourist ticket)
You have the Option to Purchase a 1 Day or a 10 Day Boleto Turistico.
- The partial ticket or 1-day ticket: costs70 soles (US$22) and is valid for 1 day. You can visit many sites as you like in one day with no further charge; there are no discounts with this ticket.
- The general ticket: costs 130 soles (US$43) and is valid for 10 days, allows you over the next 10 days to enter to 14 cultural and archeological sites in Cusco, the sacred valley and south valley.
- The cost for students under 25 (with the presentation of a valid ISIC card) and for teenagers under 18 (with the presentation of an identity card) is 70 soles (US $20). Children under 11 are free.
- The tickets for Saqsayhuaman, Pisac, Ollantaytambo, Moray, etc. Cannot be sold individually, you must buy the Boleto Turistico, and you must pay in soles, no credit cards or US dollars are accepted.
Here is a list of sites where you can use your Boleto Turistico General:
- Puka Pukara.
Important: These entrances are not included in the Boleto Turistico General.
- The ticket to salt mines.
PRICE –the price is based on your group size.
- 2-6 people: US$ 250.00 total.
- 7-10 people: US$ 3500 total.
***please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking