The Vinicunca area is nowadays one of the most famous attraction that we have in Cusco perhaps in South America. It is a great point to highlight on your trip to Peru. It is a place with people who keep alive their local traditions, you will see herds of llamas, alpacas and vicuñas, soaring condors, chinchillas and a great view of the Ausangate glacier which is the highest point in Cusco region. To complement these fantastic view of the Rainbow Mountain, located in a colorful and magical sandstone mountain range. Definitely a great place to enjoy the nature.
Day 1:Cusco – Rainbow Mountain – Cusco
We will meet and pick you up from your hotel at 4:00am. And drive to the southeast for 3 hours, until ‘Pampachiri’. On the way once it will be getting clear, we will enjoy the beauty of the local communities and the local people wearing their typical clothing, actually this place is a perfect spot to enjoy of the big herds of llamas and alpacas at the fields, as well the great views of the landscape whit the mountain ranges at both sides some of them colorful others with glaciers.
At ‘Pampachiri’ (4,500 m./14,463ft.) we will enjoy a hot delicious breakfast to get energies and then start our journey to the Rainbow Mountain.
Approximately 4 hours to reach to the top, on the way again enjoying the views of the llamas and alpacas, perhaps the view of some vicuña herds in the wild life grazing along the valley, also the magnificent views of the highest glacier in Cusco Region which is the ‘Ausangate’ (6,385 m./20,945 ft.).
Reaching to the top (5,200 m./17,060 ft.) we will spend around 30 minutes enjoying the views of this magical and colorful mountain and also your guide will explain you what makes this mountain so unique, which minerals make different colors of stone striations, still the option to hike down to the ‘Red Mountain’ (to be organized with your guide and it takes 1 hour round-trip). After enjoying this astonishment place we start to descent for 2 hours until ‘Pampachiri’ where our chef will be waiting for us with a lovely lunch.
After lunch 3 more hours in our private van back to Cusco. This time after one hour if you are not too exhausted still the option to enjoy and cross a colonial bridge where the builders back in the years used the Inca foundations. Then again driving 2 more hours to Cusco directly to your hotel. (average time to reach to Cusco 7 pm.).
• Meals: Breakfast, snack, lunch.
• Distance hiking: 14 kms. – 8.7mi.
• Average time: 7 hours.
• Considered: Challenging.
• Weather: Dry – windy - cold.
• Minimum altitude: 4,500 m./14,463 ft.
• Maximum altitude: 5,200 m./17,060 ft.
Included in the full Day trek
• It will be done one night before the trek, and here we will tell you all the specific details about the trek.
• Bilingual English speaking, experienced professional guide.
All the tickets:
• All tickets for the trek.
• Ticket for the Rainbow mountain.
• transfer from the airport to your hotel.
• Pick up in a private transport to the starting point of the trek.
• Private transport back to your hotel.
• Experienced chef.
• Dining tent to enjoy the meals with tables and chairs.
• Breakfast and lunch.
• * if you have any food restriction, please let us know.
• All our guides have received training in first aids from a Physician.
• Emergency first-aid kit.
• Oxygen tank.
• Walking sticks (Pair).
• Walking Poles: US$10.00 per pair per trek (Professional Poles that can be extended).
• Horses; Can be rented for the hike from locals US$25.00.
PRICE – US$ 220.00 per person
**Prices are based on the number of persons in the group.
2 persons -- 190 US$ per person.
3 persons -- 170 US$ per person.
4 persons -- 150 US$ per person.
5 persons -- 130 US$ per person.
***please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking
Essentials for this trek
• Original passport. (very important).
• Valid GREEN ISIC card, (if you booked as a student)
• Small day pack – 30 or 40 L. for hiking in the day.
• Comfortable hiking boots with ankle support.
• Warm clothes for variable temperatures - 5 ºC: wool hat, scarves, gloves.
• Fleece, down jacket.
• Rain gear: rain jacket, rain pant.
• Sun hat, sunglasses and sunscreen.
• Plastic poncho - we will provide you one.
• Personal medication.
• Toilet paper and small plastic bag for waste.
• Extra money (dollars or soles) for souvenirs, drinks, tips, etc.