Cusco or Q´osqo in quechua one-time capital of the Inca empire called Tawantinsuyo has so much to experience, Cusco is rich in legends and one says that the city was founded by the first Incas, Manco Cápac and Mama Ocllo, the son and daughter of the sun father. After being born from Lake Titicaca, Manco Cápac and Mama Ocllo headed northwest to found the Inca dynasty here. Whatever the truth of the city’s origins, for the Incas Cusco was the heart of their empire and the “navel of the world”. And nowadays called archaeological capital of the Americas. While we explore this UNESCO-listed city it will reveal the astounding construction skill, the precision of the Inca-built walls, where huge blocks fit together like perfectly cut jigsaw pieces, without cement or mortar to bond them. The fact that these structures remain intact today is testament to the incredibly sophisticated engineering skills and impeccable workmanship of the Inca people.
Other Inca sites worth exploringin Cusco are the cathedral; Qorikancha (the Temple of the Sun); The walled complex of Saqsayhuaman, where Spanish conquistadores clashed with Inca leaders in a brutal battle; Qenq´o, Puka Pukara and Tambomachay.
Despite its collection of ancient treasures, this vibrant city is no mere museum. In fact, it’s surprisingly happening and vivacious, with lots of world class services including lively restaurant, bars and shops, as well as fiestas, making it a worthy inclusion on your tour to Peru.
Places to explore:
- Puka Pukara.
CUSCO CITY TOUR
We will meet at your hotel at 1 pm. then we will go to the cathedral, continuing to Qorikancha where we will explore the temple of the sun and we will understand why this was the most important place in the Incas time, also we will see the best Incan remain buildings and the catholic architecture in one place together. then we drive to Saqsayhuaman considered the head of the ancient puma city (Cusco) many historians mention it was a fortress due to the impressive stone blocks even more than 120 tons, but now current research suggest that it was mostly used as temple, undoubtedly one of the most beautiful places built by the Incas. afterward10 minutes driving to Qenq´o which means ‘maze’, on the top of the natural rock there are carvings with different shapes such as; condor snakes, llamas. Belowthere are caves, alleys and one altar used for llama sacrifices and for human mummification. 10 more minutes to reach to Puka Pukara,which its name suggests it was a red fortress in quechua language, after listening Incas history and plenty time for pictures we go to Tambomachay, then around 5:00 pm back to Cusco
- Pick up at your hotel.
- Bilingual English speaking guide.
- Private van to visit all Inca places.
- Ticket for Qorikancha.
- Bottle of Water.
- Entrance ticket for all archeological sites, this ticket has two options and can be purchased at the first site you enter. It is about US$22 or 70 soles. (BTG, see important info).
WHAT TO BRING FOR CITY TOUR?
- Original passport.
- Warm jacket.
- Sun protection.
- Some money for souvenirs.
- Money in soles to purchase BTG tourist ticket (70 soles).
- If you are a student, take your ISIC card (only works for the 10-day Boleto Turistico).
Boleto Turístico (tourist ticket)
You have the Option to Purchase a 1 Day or a 10 Day Boleto Turistico.
- The partial ticket or 1-day ticket: costs70 soles (US$22) and is valid for 1 day. You can visit many sites as you like in one day with no further charge; there are no discounts with this ticket.
- The general ticket: costs 130 soles (US$43) and is valid for 10 days, allows you over the next 10 days to enter to 14 cultural and archeological sites in Cusco, the sacred valley and south valley.
- The cost for students under 25 (with the presentation of a valid ISIC card) and for teenagers under 18 (with the presentation of an identity card) is 70 soles (US $20). Children under 11 are free.
- The tickets for Saqsayhuaman, Pisac, Ollantaytambo, Moray, etc. Cannot be sold individually, you must buy the Boleto Turistico, and you must pay in soles, no credit cards or US dollars are accepted.
Here is a list of sites where you can use your Boleto Turistico General:
- Puka Pukara.
Important: These entrances are not included in the Boleto Turistico General.
- The ticket to Qorikancha or Santo Domingo Convent (10 soles).
- The ticket to the Cathedral (25 soles).
PRICE –the price is based on your group size.
- 2-6 people: US$ 180.00 total.
- 7-10 people: US$ 260.00 total.
***please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking